Thursday, April 12, 2012

Carnitas




Hola mis Amigos. Como estas? Me llamo Jeremy. Hoy les voy a enseñar cómo hacer Carnitas. (Didn't know I knew Spanish did you folks? What can I say, I'm a Renaissance man.)


What you will need:

The Meat:

4lb Pork shoulder roast

The Rub:

3 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoon garlic powder
3 teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon

The broth:

2 bay leaves
2 cups chicken broth (organic of course)

Preparation:

Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes (doesn’t need to be presise, you just want to get more of the rub onto more of the meat) and lay to the side.

Combine all the ingredients for the rub in a bowl and dump onto the meat a little at a time. Massaging the rub into the meat and coating all the pieces thoroughly.  If you don’t want to get your hands all nasty throw on a pair of rubber gloves.

Now get out your crockpot and place the 2 bay leaves in the bottom. Add the meat and chicken broth ( I like to add the broth at one of the sides so I don’t wash all the rub off the meat). Place crockpot on low and let it cook a minimum of 6 hours. Once the meat is done, take it out of the crockpot and place on a baking/cookie sheet. Turn your oven on broil at this time. Now get back over to the meat. Take 2 forks and begin pulling the pork apart until shredded.  Spread the pork out on the sheet in a thin layer and throw it on in the oven. Watch closely and take it out as soon as it starts to brown and caramelize. Congratulations you are now done. Throw this on some greens, rice (if that is on of your sanity items), or eat by itself; really can’t go wrong with this folks. I like to add some caramelized onions or peppers into the mix and top it with some hot sauce. Make it your own and enjoy. 

16 comments:

  1. Diet is in check ,Ran 3 miles for my wod today
    PAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diet okay. Made the fish sticks from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook tonight (had to get my fish in before the end of the week). They were edible, but I won't make them again. The recipe above looks great! About how long do you have to broil the meat in the oven?

    Did FBG this morning at open gym and got 14 points more than last time (which was maybe 5 months ago or so). Also tried some funky sit-ups that Kent showed me. I only did a few (with assistance - thanks Kent :-) and am definitely feeling it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe 5 minutes. You wanna take it out when it starts caramelizing and looking brown/burnt/crispy. You can also substitute the Crockpot for a pressure cooker and have the meat done in about 45 minutes. If using the pressure cooker, I would cut the spice down a little.

      Delete
  3. Clean eating, no sanity or cheat. No WOD today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Newmann's salad dressing sanity item today, day 3 of no fruit, feeling pretty good, hit open gym this morning and did Wednesday's WOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good, no news. Metcon at work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had my second cheat meal tonight. Other than that I ate and felt great today.

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did Monday's WOD at open gym, followed by some crazy tire sprints ;) Water, fish oil & food...check. Sanity items were cream & piece of chocolate (dark, of course).
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty good day overall. Rest day--kids are home from school. I'll be there tomorrow morning. Just have to go on record saying that I am not a cherry picker!! I will not lie, I used to be. I used to be a bit intimidated. Now, I say, bring it on!! Can't wait to try JEck's Carnitas! I wonder if Maria translated for him....hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Maria did not translate for me, that Spanish was all me.

      Delete
  9. Did great with food. Today was my day off! I loved the last three wods! FYI...JECKS pork...rocks!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ate well today. No wod. but got to see Tosh in Richmond. Life's good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diet check, forgot to take my vitamins and protein this morning. Perhaps thats why i was lagging all day. Did some kind of crazy tire sprints with Carrie it was super tuff (def not a starter tire for women)
    Casey and Druss smoked us with ease. But it was kinda fun for a workout. Also did super legs after and i am sure i will be feeling it in the morning. But other than the tiredness i truely had an awesome day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very late posting...took today off but ate well and drank lots of water. I'm finding my worst time is at work in the middle of the night when everyone around me is munching on junk.....hard not to cave. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Successful day of eating. No work out for Thursday. Hoping to get some cardio in with my girls tommorrow- if we can make it work in the little bit of space we have in the hotel. :)

    ReplyDelete