Monday, April 16, 2012

ROASTED MARROW BONES

This is a rather adventurous dish for all of our paleo challenge participants.  I absolutely love bone marrow.  It tastes like the most decadent butter with a beefy essence.  Seriously guys it doesn't get much better than this.  I would serve it with some of Tiffany's paleo crackers (ask her nicely for the recipe), a parsley salad, and some fleur de sel. 

For the bones you will need,

-8 or so grass-fed beef marrow bones  ( purchase at wegman's or even better get them from a local farm)
-Kosher salt
-ghee
-Fleur de sel

Soak the bones in ice water with a couple tablespoons of kosher salt. Refrigerate overnight. If you can, change the water out once or twice.  This draws the blood out... it's not necessary but it will make a better quality product.
Preheat the oven to 450F and prepare a pan thats lightly coated with the ghee.  Stand the marrow bones up in the pan and roast about 15 minutes until the marrow starts to run out of the bones a little. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the marrow bone and then pulling it out and holding it to your wrist to see if its hot.

Parsley Salad
- 3 cups mixed parsley and arugula
- 1 finely minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons of capers (chopped)
- Zest of one organic lemon
- 3 TBSP Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Kosher Salt, Freshly cracked black pepper to taste

In a bowl add the lemon juice and dijon mustard and whisk.  While whisking constantly add a little bit of the oil at a time until it emulsifies.  Add a pinch of salt and some pepper.  Add remaining ingredients and toss in the bowl.

The idea of serving the bone marrow with this salad is to cut the richness of the fatty marrow with the acidity and pepperiness of the vinaigrette.  To eat this delicacy serve the bones hot and with a small spoon to scoop out the marrow.  Spread on some plain paleo crackers with a sprinkle of fleur de sel and top with the dressed green salad.  Tell me it's not delicious after you've tried it.  I dare you.  If you make some please let me know so i can come and join you. This is absolutely one of the best things I've ever eaten.  After you are finished with the bones, put them in a big pot with a couple of onions, carrots, celery, a head of garlic, and some fresh herbs.  Fill until completely covered with water and gently bring to a boil.  Adjust the heat so that it's barely simmering and let it go for 6-12 hours, skimming occasionally.  Strain and you have the best beef stock you've ever tasted.  Refrigerate the stock or freeze it for later use.

Love,
Kent

15 comments:

  1. My stomach is still recovering from my indiscretions over the weekend. I had a blast this afternoon with Dave, Kent & Jeremy.
    The snatch was not happening today but the sqauts felt good.
    Food ok, plenty of water & a painful metcon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temptation got the best of me today!!!!! No Wod today, plenty of water intake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm darn grumpy. I started Tiffany's 21 day sugar detox and lack if fruit is tough. Day 2.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ate well again today but I do need to eat more veggies. Water was ok- need to drink more. Wod at 5:30 as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did great with my water today. Tried a SoCal margarita with dinner...it's going to take some getting use to. I only had a couple sips. Did the WOD at 930 today...big ole class!!! :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ate clean today. 0530 WOD was brutal but good except for the stinging sensation in my neck from the OHWL??? what's up with that? gonna have to watch that. I'm still trying to get down all that water after reading yesterday's blog. That's ALOT of water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food in check today. Did good with my water today too! Had a great WOD at 9:30, looking forward to it again tomorrow.

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clean eating, with one sanity (Coffee Creamer). Made the 0630 WOD. I like the tall cleans, really helps me get under the bar quickly. Tough MetCon, but nice to say I did it. Welcome back Dave C, good to see you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mostly clean eating today, that is until this evening. The popcorn smelled so good, I couldn't resist a handful. Although I did resist the birthday cake that was shoved into my face several times on Sunday. Some people just don't get it!! Anyway, water's going pretty good, been keeping up with my fish oil and vitamins. I'll be trying out the Carnitas recipe tomorrow! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Oh, I was at the 930 class this morning--tough wod, but I felt great afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't seem to stay away from that damn dark chocolate.....other than that it was a good day, the 930 WOD was fun as always. I made both the short ribs and a double batch of Melissas salad dressing.....they were both delicious!!! I'm going to try the bone marrow sometime this week I think. I still need to work on increasing my water intake. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only one sanity item today (cream in coffee)! Did the WOD.....man, I love the 9:40 class!!! Water, fish oil & eating was all good today :) Accountability on this blog is good for me because I REALLY wanted a chocolate milkshake from ChikFilA, but knew I would have to confess, so I resisted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Milkshake comment is from Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wod was good today, finally got a kipping pull up. My diet is ok but i have been eating a uncanny amount of fruit lately. I am pretty sure i ate a whole pineapple in like 2 days.

    What helps me in making sure i drink enough water through out the day. Is knowing exactly how many bottles it takes to get to my recommended intake. Adjust it to the water bottle your using that day and keep track or buy a gallon of water and try and finish it :-) Hope it helps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ate okay and did the wod in the morning. That was a tough one, harder than it looked just written on the board :-) Congrats on the pullup, Brittanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clean eating for Monday. And almost enough water. :p

    ReplyDelete