Wednesday, April 11, 2012



Supplements

I dare you to walk into the end of a CrossFit class and not hear the tell tale sound of a shaker cup.  Oh and if you’re not familiar with the sound it’s sound like some ones playing Yahtzee around the corner, or better yet a bunch of bums throwin’ dice.  It’s a sound associated with Longevity and muscled bros.  Ahh, the shaker cup.  But what does one throw into this mighty chalice of life you ask......supplements.  
Not all supplements are created equal.  Nutrition is the main reason that elite level athletes have arrived at the Home Depot Center year after year.  It’s not a simple science knowing what to feed your body, but there are some basic needs for the novice athlete.  
Multi-vitamins.......
Every athlete needs to take a multi-vitamin.  Ideally you would get every micronutrient your body needs through your diet.  Unfortunately we, modern peeps, often neglect the necessary: organ meets, berries, and veggies that would have sustained us in the past.  
Now which multi is right for me????
Novice athletes.  I use this term to define your three times a week athlete whose goal is to be healthy and active.  Novice athletes can have elite level skills just lack the desire to train at that level to be competitive in the region, sport. 
This athlete can use any basic multi.  Try any brand that has a large gamete of micronutrients.  Honestly the more the better, there are some tailored for older bro’s and ladies of the gray.  Stick with it, take that multi like your life is almost depending on it.  Think like filling up the gas tank, not life ending but damn are you pissed when the gas runs too low and you’re behind for that meeting/thing you need to be at.  Womp, womp.
Also a good fish oil is a necessity, good being defined as having clearly defined EPA and DHA amounts.  You’re looking for the most bang for your buck.  It should ideally appear around 2:1.  Otherwise it’s been tampered with and isn’t as pure as most, your’s truly, would like to see.  Take the recommended does twice daily, one about thirty minutes before your bed time routine and the other when ever.  Taking fish oil in the morning helps your body obsorb fat soluble vitamins like A, E, D, and K.  On days when you feel crampy, crapy, hung over, sick, run down take a double dose each time.  Trust me it’s a good thang.  
Lastly invest in a shaker chalice, cup.  Get your favorite, no frills protein and take it post WOD.  This will help you last longer as in life, and get you back in the gym sooner.  Don’t make me get into all the shenanigans about it.  Trust me.  It’s another thang, Muscle Milk and Optimum Nutrtion make the no frills kind that taste good, are cheap, and you’ll find them any where.  Now Shake Seniora.   
Those of you who wish to be competitive, the shaker cup elite look into better cleaner products.  At Large Nutrition makes a great protein called Nitrean+ that is a great way to boost your protein levels while avoiding a bunch of crap that is in other products.  Look into taking Beta Alanine pre-wod, it diminishes muscles fatigue, might be a good thing for CrossFitters (Any store brand is great).  As well, taking a ZMA complex at night is a great way to increase recovery and up your sleep (Muscle Pharm ZMA Max is the great because it also has melatonin, they also make Bullet Proof which is another good nighttime recovery product).  Finally take a Mico-Lactin supplement, it does wonders for your joints and is also an anti-inflammatory, plus plus.  Add some BCAA's and your helping your body to stay anabolic, that's creating muscle, and avoid the dreaded catabolic state where your body breaks down muscle tissue.  

18 comments:

  1. Felt much better today, yea! I was disapointed I didn't make it in, my plan was to bring the kids and 4:00 and stay for the 4:30. My son has pink eye and I figured it was best not to bring him. I'm seeing a flash forward to summer, not sure how much I'll be able to make it in:( I enjoyed my two sanity items and made the short ribs... fall of the bone tender, yum!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spent the last 2 days walking bushgardens in Tampa-totaly stayed on diet-you gotta really search for healthly food in the parks,the popcorn smelled sooooooo good but i didnt cave.No wod today

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 2 no sanity item's and no Fruit. Staying Focused on the end result's. No Wod today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the WOD today. :) And I got to work out with my girl Erin! Did a great job with my food today. Not enough water.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write up Byron. I take all the good stuff Byron has listed and training as crazy as I do, I see the impact it has on my recovery. Now on to the good stuff. Did a strength session today followed by a wonderful 5 rounds of hell courtesy of Kent (250M row, 10 Squat clean Thrusters @ 105, and 15 burpees). Took 17:07 and I was spent. Then we decided to do some more strength stuff (presses) followed by some grip training. We are not right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did the wod this morning and ate okay all day. I made the meatloaf from the Everyday Paleo book last night, and all of the kids liked it! I have been thinking about trying a protein drink post wod, but I have to wait for a little bit longer because I haven't been able to find any without sugar in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ate well and had my sanity cheese. Wod at 5:30 in the cold rain... What a good time (not). :) watching playoff hockey is definitely helping my recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missed wod today (still suffering bad with my allergies so not getting much sleep).driving to work and Eliot in the morning was talking about Chik-fil-A's limited time banana pudding milkshake, sadly then it was all I could think about. I kept on the plan all day: chicken and salad for lunch and a great dinner of roast beef and spinach for dinner that my awesome husband made for me. Indulged in my sanity items today...if you eat dark chocolate and drink peppermint tea it kind of tastes like mint chocolate chip...a girl can imagine....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to say all cute puppies are safe with me today! Used my 2 sanity items...cream in coffee & sour cream on my fajita salad. PR'd on back sqats at the 5:30 WOD...thanks, Byron! Highlight of the evening was when ANDY said I am "officially strong"!!! Gotta love a compliment from Andy :) Planning to come to open gym tomorrow afternoon. Night, night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food ok, water ok. New PR on Squat clean during wod.
    Good times at the gym today. I was very impressed by Carrie's new back squat PR. She is officialy strong in my book.
    1 lb a week or 1 rep a day. The iron will keep you honest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always forget to sign my name :)
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had a headache this afternoon, I think I need to drink more water. Drank my coffee black but had some dark chocolate. WOD was fun this morning, I'm getting some pretty nice callouses on my hands :))). Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty good day overall--PR'd on my back squats--thanks Linds!! Good to have Lindsay there to push me! I got my first double under today!! Yay!!! It's always so exciting to have a milestone like that. Felt pretty good about the WOD. Drank lots of water, ate okay, took my fish oil. I need to cut back on the fruits and eat more veggies--damn sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tried kents recipe, should have prepped a little better. So i finally sat down for dinner at 10:00 i was ready to eat my shoe. The chicken and veggies were great and i have enough left over for lunch for a couple days, Feeling a little blue and starting to get headaches again but that could be from my allergies. I am trying to wait till saturday to have my sanity item but i may eat some rice tomorrow with dinner. Made the wod felt super slow and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clean eating and no sanity. Made it to Wednesday WOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew you were lacking sanity! :-)

      Delete
  16. Cheat meal and no wod for me. Casey ate clean and took a rest day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the good supplement info Jeremy. I always wondered about the muscle milk thing. I guess I should start next WOD. Still eating clean.

    ReplyDelete